2018 Hacking/Riding challenge........ Add your photos and join in open to anyone.

horseandgoatmom

Dec 3, 2014
Ma, New england
Sonny
unmounted80.00. hrs
Mounted 18.25 hrs

Andi unmounted 7.25 hrs

Did a little play this week and had a lesson yesterday.
It was soooooooooooo cold out Lynny wanted to change to later but Toni could not so we went with EARLY and COLD.

My ring was still in heavy shade so we worked in the cavaletti play area out front where the sun was starting to come thru.

The saddle seemed good I felt good in it and no leg cramps.
Sonny was a little off cadence in back at the trot.
I was a bit squirrely in going from sitting to posting trot not being able to make my mind up which did not help.
We put him in the rd pen at liberty after and his cadence
was good.

I put a call into the person who originally fit the saddle to Andi for it to be fit to Sonny and he is also a chiropractor so I will have sonny adjusted at the same time.
LOL he used to be a horse and PERSON chiropractor.
I had been to him person wise a few times years ago...
He just does horses and saddle fit now.

The lesson on the side yard went well and then we went into the ring a bit later.
Lynn likes my little play ground and my tire.

IMG_3214.JPG IMG_3243.JPG

IMG_3233.JPG

IMG_3228.JPG

IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_3205.JPG

IMG_3206.JPG

IMG_3207.JPG
I was riding with a western pad that was ok but not ideal.
Its a wither pad with a slot cut in.
I'm getting a dressage to fit it and a wither relief half pad.
with the slot later today.
Hes got very high withers so no matter how the fit gets altered
he will still need that.

Our next lesson Toni and I want to be as soon as we can get it
and hopefully we will be later in the day.
We all agreed now we WANT the sun....

I really like that Lynn can and will work out of the box for a lesson. It does not have to happen in a ring.

Well this evening we went on a hack across the road with H and Eva And S with Rosie we were out about 1 hour went to the ford and thought it then turned round and went back :) loving my little hacks and the other riders were very considerate of my nervous Nellie moments lol

Doing a picnic hack tomorrow on horseback.... so could be out awhile :) loving the freedom x

horseandgoatmom

Dec 3, 2014
Ma, New england
Sonny
unmounted81.00. hrs
Mounted 18.25 hrs

Andi unmounted 7.25 hrs

Played for quite a while in the rd pen yesterday It was late and very windy out.
He was awesome at going around and continuing to go
on his own once I asked --- like he used to do.
We did get some great verbal transitions.

Today may be a play day but not a riding day when rain stops the winds will be 40mph +

I got a wither relief pad and proper dressage pad in 3 colors yesterday:).

IMG_3260.JPG

IMG_3261.JPG

I got a message from the place I put the saddles on consignment one has sold:D:D:):););).

I'm pleased about that and better to move along something I won't use.

GaryB

Mar 23, 2015
Well I was supposed to be going to a SJ clinic on Saturday, but the person running it never got back to me to confirm my place so I couldn't go -Grr! The instructor even tried for me and couldn't get a response either. It obviously wasn't my weekend. I had already had bad news on Friday - my lorry had got a panel loose so I got the mechanic to come and sort it out and do a safety check at the same time. He found some corrosion in the floor caused by the original builder (we think) putting two metals together that shouldn't be together (called apparently galvanic corrosion). Its going to cost about £500 to fix it :(

Anyway - as I was expecting to go to the clinic I hadn't really planning anything so it was just a hack round for me and Harvey enjoying the unseasonably warm weather. On Sunday we did the same route in reverse which turn out to be slightly more exciting. We were trotting along the bridleway when we came across some men on the other side of the thick hedge doing some repairs. Harvey managed to spin and run before I knew what was happening nearly dumping me on the floor and it took a little while to pull him up. He then of course spooked at everything all the way home.

Hacking
2 hours 20
8.8 miles

Totals
Schooling
20 hours 10 minutes

Hacking
385.3 miles
110 hours 40 minutes

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Well I was supposed to be going to a SJ clinic on Saturday, but the person running it never got back to me to confirm my place so I couldn't go -Grr! The instructor even tried for me and couldn't get a response either. It obviously wasn't my weekend. I had already had bad news on Friday - my lorry had got a panel loose so I got the mechanic to come and sort it out and do a safety check at the same time. He found some corrosion in the floor caused by the original builder (we think) putting two metals together that shouldn't be together (called apparently galvanic corrosion). Its going to cost about £500 to fix it :(

Anyway - as I was expecting to go to the clinic I hadn't really planning anything so it was just a hack round for me and Harvey enjoying the unseasonably warm weather. On Sunday we did the same route in reverse which turn out to be slightly more exciting. We were trotting along the bridleway when we came across some men on the other side of the thick hedge doing some repairs. Harvey managed to spin and run before I knew what was happening nearly dumping me on the floor and it took a little while to pull him up. He then of course spooked at everything all the way home.

Hacking
2 hours 20
8.8 miles

Totals
Schooling
20 hours 10 minutes

Hacking
385.3 miles
110 hours 40 minutes
Oh Harvey! Lovely pics. Glad you stayed on.

horseandgoatmom

Dec 3, 2014
Ma, New england
Sonny
unmounted82.50. hrs
Mounted 18.25 hrs

Andi unmounted 7.25 hrs

No riding this week it was either raining or horribly windy.
I did get some play in though.

Tomorrow is supposed to be really nice woo hoo
we have a lesson tomorrow.

GaryB

Mar 23, 2015
On Saturday I persuaded my occasional riding partner J that we should go to the Cotswold fun ride. It was a cold day so I went prepared with warm clothes. It started well with me arriving first in the crowded car park, and J arriving just as the person next to me left so we could park together and tie the horses up together. A short way into the ride we had to go through a gate next to a wall. I could sense that Harvey was tensing up and then as the occupants of the field came into view he stopped dead. Pigs! Apparently a Harvey doesn't like pigs. J's horse of course took her cue from Harvey so we were temporarily stuck!. After a while 2 more riders turned up but their horses too decided that pigs were the devil's work so now there were 4 of us stuck. After a while 2 more riders turned up and fortunately we were all then able to get through.

Harvey was now on high alert and spent the next 30 minutes jogging and spooking at everything in sight (and quite a few things not in sight). He did eventually settle down thank goodness. It was quite a nice day albeit a bit cold, but then after about 2 hours it started drizzling, then it started raining, then it started sleeting, then it started snowing. I was wearing waterproofs, but poor J got wet and cold legs, and we both got very cold hands. After an hour in the drizzle/rain/sleet/snow we got back to find that neither of us could get our tack off because our hands were too cold. Fortunately my partner/groom was there to help and then kindly watched the horses while J and I retired to the cafe to warm up. We were the last ones out of the car park and got back to the stables as it was getting dark. Fortunately one of my wonderful fellow liveries had mucked out for me.

Sunday of course was then a beautiful day. I just took Harvey for a quick hack round in case he was a bit stiff (he didn't seem to be)

Getting to the "I want to be back in the warm and dry" stage!

Made it back!

Hacking
15 miles
4 hours

Totals
Schooling
20 hours 10 minutes

Hacking
400.3 miles
114 hours 40 minutes

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
On Saturday I persuaded my occasional riding partner J that we should go to the Cotswold fun ride. It was a cold day so I went prepared with warm clothes. It started well with me arriving first in the crowded car park, and J arriving just as the person next to me left so we could park together and tie the horses up together. A short way into the ride we had to go through a gate next to a wall. I could sense that Harvey was tensing up and then as the occupants of the field came into view he stopped dead. Pigs! Apparently a Harvey doesn't like pigs. J's horse of course took her cue from Harvey so we were temporarily stuck!. After a while 2 more riders turned up but their horses too decided that pigs were the devil's work so now there were 4 of us stuck. After a while 2 more riders turned up and fortunately we were all then able to get through.

Harvey was now on high alert and spent the next 30 minutes jogging and spooking at everything in sight (and quite a few things not in sight). He did eventually settle down thank goodness. It was quite a nice day albeit a bit cold, but then after about 2 hours it started drizzling, then it started raining, then it started sleeting, then it started snowing. I was wearing waterproofs, but poor J got wet and cold legs, and we both got very cold hands. After an hour in the drizzle/rain/sleet/snow we got back to find that neither of us could get our tack off because our hands were too cold. Fortunately my partner/groom was there to help and then kindly watched the horses while J and I retired to the cafe to warm up. We were the last ones out of the car park and got back to the stables as it was getting dark. Fortunately one of my wonderful fellow liveries had mucked out for me.

Sunday of course was then a beautiful day. I just took Harvey for a quick hack round in case he was a bit stiff (he didn't seem to be)

Getting to the "I want to be back in the warm and dry" stage!

Made it back!

Hacking
15 miles
4 hours

Totals
Schooling
20 hours 10 minutes

Hacking
400.3 miles
114 hours 40 minutes
The pigs might have done for us too! Argh. Glad you got through in the end!

horseandgoatmom

Dec 3, 2014
Ma, New england
Sonny
unmounted84.50. hrs
Mounted 19.25 hrs

Andi unmounted 7.25 hrs

The lesson went well the pads worked good.
I played with him several times that day but omg the first time he was
a monster horse from hell carrying on so full of himself and it got ugh really really windy.
I played a a couple more times before my lesson and he was better but it was sooooooooooo windy.
He was all set and saddled to go Lynn was a little bit late not a big deal but I was worried Toni cancelled and I did not know and I needed to to try the saddles with the pads my husband was not home and I would not have wanted to ride here alone in the horrible wind with no one around.
Thankfully she arrived a couple minutes later...

The lesson went good hes not spooky in the wind but it was for sure
a nasty wind:mad:

I Went over take photos of Toni's lesson on Levi after mine ...She looked good.
Lynn has spoken to Dr Katz the chiro/ saddle fitter.
She said he will get to me....

I played a few times this week weather has been weird again lots of rain and wind but he did really nice one afternoon 45 min freelonging nicely
and I never had to get up to urge him on he worked perfectly on my voice...
IMG_3683.JPG Woo Hoo back to being so good. IMG_3693.JPG
IMG_3621.JPG IMG_3707.JPG IMG_3640.JPG
I used a bit this time for something different.

Yesterday I picked up the money for the saddles I sold and hopefully today we can go get the fencing to enlarge the third area to put Andi and Sonny together during the day

I want to continue further back into the trees so that especially for summer next year the IMG_3783.JPG y will have shade available at all times Its not teeny tiny but I want enough room to not have Sonny toally pestered by her.
We had much less actual land at the old house but horse wise actually
much more space..

Over the course of the 40 years there the whole of it was fenced.
We will get there here ;) but I want fence panels that we can change up if need be and NO BROKEN BOARDS to fix :mad::(

GaryB

Mar 23, 2015
My lorry was due to come back from its floor repair on Friday, but I found out at 6pm it wasn't ready. I was pretty annoyed as I had a clinic booked and paid for on Saturday and if I had found out earlier I could have got some money back :(

So Saturday was a day for hacking. It was very blustery so I found myself riding a pretty spooky Harvey. We went to the top of the hill which was deserted (not surprising in that wind).

Meanwhile I found there was a SJ clinic running locally with the same instructor (William Blane who is a BE master coach and FBHS) and managed to book in for a 3 o'clock slot on Sunday. This was going to be pretty tight for getting back and I knew I would have to leave the clinic early. There are 2 entrances to the clinic venue - when I got to the one closest to me I found it locked which meant a 15 minute diversion so in the end it took 50 minutes to hack there. I arrived 10 minutes early to find everyone else was having the same issue. The 2 o'clock group had only just arrived so they had missed their lesson. I was the first one there for my slot. We started straight away so I had been riding 10 minutes when the other 3 riders arrived.

We had a great clinic - William commented on how much I have come on since he last saw me in June. I left at 3:35 and made good time back getting home at 4:20 before it got too dark.

This was the warm up jump - it was too dark to get photos after this (I should mention I put hi viz on to hack there and home)

Hacking
3 hours 15
12.8 miles

Schooling
45 minutes

Totals
Schooling
20 hours 55 minutes

Hacking
413.1 miles
117 hours 55 minutes