Am i going to be too big

Misha

Nov 28, 2018
You mentioned he's kicking when you do leg straps, does he do this year round? A pony I ride sometimes has sweetitch and he gets terribly bitten around his sheath and inside his back legs and he is very kicky when you put his lotions on and the leg straps on his rug, even when you brush his tail, it's got to be done though so we just get on with it but only once he has a head collar on to restrain him if need be.
No it's just something hes started this year and hes swinging his bum and lashing out hes fine with the other 2 straps but soon as you go to the back one that's it ears back and he kicks out then walks off he reverses up to you too to kick you or try he can be funny when hes brought in to be groomed too odd times doing the same he nearly always needs to have his head collar put on to restrain him I ignore him when I go in the field get in with my checks

Misha

Nov 28, 2018
Does he have a routine? Do you catch him and bring him in from the field everyday to groom and sort his rug, or are you trying to do this in the field? If you are trying to fuss him in the field while he is grazing, is it really surprising that he gets grumpy and tries to carry on grazing?
He comes in at weekends to have a break from the grass along with some of the others during the week I'll fetch him in a couple of times I check for injury etc in the field if there stood by the gate the odd time iv had to try and sort is rug in the field

Misha

Nov 28, 2018
With your bigger boy I'd say you need to make the time to bring him in and handle him every day, it sounds like he's calling the shots and that's not doing either of you any favours. Tie him up to do his rug & don't do it while he's eating if that makes him grumpier - some like peace to eat & while ultimately he has to tolerate you it's best to start with easy steps first. At this stage he's bullying you & you're letting him, if he meant to do you harm he would have & if he meant to kill you you wouldn't be here telling us about it - they're bigger, stronger & faster than us, and very accurate with feet and teeth, if he meant to hurt you you wouldn't stand a chance with him loose in a field.
I think I slightly exaggerated when I said he acts like he wants to kill me that was slightly ott he would defo hurt me if he intended it and they are accurate with there feet and teeth he is saying hes the boss totally and it's no good he has been out of work a very long time must be 10 years now iv only owned him since November round here theres a few riding schools but they wont hire out there manage so I can get him back into work very slowly so I'm stuck at the mo so im just doing ground work with him im.not scared of him or nervous of him he is very very strong so im using his bridle to walk him out in hand

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
You may not be scared of him, but if you're backing off even a fraction when he threatens that's the message he's getting, and if that's what he thinks then matters will only get worse.

Why was he out of work so long? After that length of time I think I'd want him brought back into work by a professional, it smacks of a significant problem to me and I wouldn't want to mess around myself even with access to an arena. The lack of respect on the ground is likely to carry through to ridden work so if you want to ride him get someone who really knows what they're doing and will give you an honest assessment of him and you. My gut feeling is you'll have far more fun with the new one if you can get a saddle to fit both of you, and looking at the grazing he' on some work will probably do him good!

Misha

Nov 28, 2018
You may not be scared of him, but if you're backing off even a fraction when he threatens that's the message he's getting, and if that's what he thinks then matters will only get worse.

Why was he out of work so long? After that length of time I think I'd want him brought back into work by a professional, it smacks of a significant problem to me and I wouldn't want to mess around myself even with access to an arena. The lack of respect on the ground is likely to carry through to ridden work so if you want to ride him get someone who really knows what they're doing and will give you an honest assessment of him and you. My gut feeling is you'll have far more fun with the new one if you can get a saddle to fit both of you, and looking at the grazing he' on some work will probably do him good!
No real idea why he was out of work for so long iv no back ground on him as the girl I got him off was given him free to good home then she sold him me his owner before that we have nothing from her I'm working with a blank canvas really I do know what I'm doing retraining him but it's the manage I honestly do think the same he needs a professional trainer and to be sent away

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Out of work for that long and being given away as free to a good home to the owner before you suggests to me a significant problem somewhere, I think before I spent money on getting him back into work I'd get a vet to give him a thorough going over and tell them why. Working with a blank canvas is one thing, working with goodness only knows what history is something else entirely. I wonder if it would be worth getting some photos and details on facebook horse & local pages to the girl you got him from to see if you could trace some of his history? Can't she give you a name and contact details of the person who gave him to her? It must have been someone she knew and you'd think she'd be happy to give you his background if it would help with his future. The risk is you could be dealing with something like a true bolter - as opposed to the runaways that get labelled bolters - or serious rearer & I'd want to know that before asking anyone to try and work with him.

Reactions: Misha

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
I'm by no means any kind of expert, but from recent experience, I completely second what's been said about routine etc. I got Hogan last year, and he'd been in the field for 2 years. When I first got him, he was bargy, bitey and bossy. He's ex riding school, and I think he'd been pushing novices around! He's been brought in every day, from day 1 - not because he needs anything, but so he knows, by repetition, that he is not the boss, and when he comes in, he will be tied up, he will be groomed, and he will pick up his feet if he's asked. I got a few bruises in the early days, but he's a different little horse now. Straight in the box, no pushing or pawing the ground, he even waits while I give the other one his bucket first. I'm very proud of him now, compared to being so embarrassed at being pushed about in the early days. It's gradually working its way into his ridden work now too. Routine and repetition are without a doubt what settled him down, and didn't cost a penny. Once you've built that side of things up, you can enjoy seeing him "remodelled" by a trainer.

Misha

Nov 28, 2018
Out of work for that long and being given away as free to a good home to the owner before you suggests to me a significant problem somewhere, I think before I spent money on getting him back into work I'd get a vet to give him a thorough going over and tell them why. Working with a blank canvas is one thing, working with goodness only knows what history is something else entirely. I wonder if it would be worth getting some photos and details on facebook horse & local pages to the girl you got him from to see if you could trace some of his history? Can't she give you a name and contact details of the person who gave him to her? It must have been someone she knew and you'd think she'd be happy to give you his background if it would help with his future. The risk is you could be dealing with something like a true bolter - as opposed to the runaways that get labelled bolters - or serious rearer & I'd want to know that before asking anyone to try and work with him.
I agree with you completely and this is why iv not even tried to ride him yet because there could be more of a problem with him hes sound hes had his back checked teeth done all good but there could be something else wrong there is a reason hes been out of work so long and just left as a field ornimant the girl who sold him me said the lady who gave him her gave him to her because shed more time for him iv had people say to me just get on him throw a saddle on him and ride him I'm not that stupid I need to know what's really going on with him iv sat on him and he didn't bat a eye lid just stood there iv tacked him up and he doesn't flinch but riding him could be very different and I dont want to end up in hospital or worse or anyone else for that matter I'm going to try and trace some of his past and see where I go from there in the meantime I'm going to put more work into my cob and focus on working him

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Ok, having looked back through your earlier threads I'm puzzled about your big lad. In your first thread in December you say he hasn't had much done with him for a few months due to no rider, but by February this had changed to he hadn't been ridden for 6/7 years - that's quite a few months! In February you also say he naps when ridden, how would you know that if you haven't ridden him, he's had 6/7 years off & you aren't in contact with the owner who had him before the person you bought him off? Did you ever get the vet to give him a thorough examination to see if there were signs of old injury? For a horse to be acting how you describe there is either pain or he's convinced he has the upper hand and is bullying you, either way something needs sorting out before someone gets hurt.

Misha

Nov 28, 2018
When I got him in November the girl who I got him off had tried to ride / long rein / lung him but she didn't have the confidence for him the woman who she got him off had done nothing with him for what I was first told 6/7 years its later materialised it's more like 9/ 10 years I'm still good friends with the girl I bought him off she barely sees the woman she got him off no contact nothing I was told by my friend he naps iV seen a video of him napping when she tried to ride him ( the girl who owned him before me ) the horse is in better condition and cared for more by me than he was before even my friend has said that as she had no time for him iv had a vet out to him several times in the past couple of months as he had colic a couple of times but no bloods or anything done I went up tonight to check them both totally ignored him did all my checks my other walked straight up to me ( always does ) my big lad looked at me walking across field totally opposite direction to him and still put ears back I never even went near him

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
If she still sometimes sees the woman she got him off can't she get some information for you? Or ask for or pass on contact numbers? She must have some regard for the horse if she kept him unworked for so long, I'm wondering if the girl you got him from doesn't want her to know the horse has been sold on after he was gifted to her.

The vet seeing him for colic is in no way a thorough check for other problems, I'd want him checked over for lameness, any signs of old injuries that may still have an impact, eyesight, and since he seems colic prone, tested for ulcers.

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
If you've had the vet check him and there's no physical issues, it could be psychological. If he doesn't want you to go to him, it may be a case of softly softly catchee monkey. Put aside a few hours, take the others out the field, take a book and a bag of carrots, totally ignore him until he comes to you. Make every time he sees you a pleasurable experience - it could take weeks or even months, but maybe worth a go. I knew my old boy's history because I got him young. Hogan's last owner I know treated him well, but there's a massive gap, where I have no idea what his life was like. He has quirks that I can only guess the origin of, but I've learned with his personality, I have to take it slow and calm. I'd always lose in a shouting match, so to speak. With him, persistence is the key.

• Love
Reactions: Misha

Misha

Nov 28, 2018
If she still sometimes sees the woman she got him off can't she get some information for you? Or ask for or pass on contact numbers? She must have some regard for the horse if she kept him unworked for so long, I'm wondering if the girl you got him from doesn't want her to know the horse has been sold on after he was gifted to her.

The vet seeing him for colic is in no way a thorough check for other problems, I'd want him checked over for lameness, any signs of old injuries that may still have an impact, eyesight, and since he seems colic prone, tested for ulcers.
I'm going to ask her if that's possibly to have the old owners contact details to find out a bit more about him on his passport it says appaloosa to be registered i checked his breeding and his dad ,grandad were appaloosas but his mum is a ID so that makes him not full appaloosa but Appy x ID no the vet checking him when he had colic isnt enough to rule out anything else iv all his vet Bill's old past and present and with his old owner who gave him away he had gas colic but nothing else wrong according to those he is prone to colic yes so its defo worth checking for ulcers like you say

Reactions: Huggy

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Just be aware that you can't be sure you have all his vet bills from the past, she may say you do but that doesn't mean a thing.

newforest

Bring Out the Baileys
Mar 15, 2008
It sort of reads that there is something wrong and nobody has got to the bottom of it.
The original owner he was napping with, they solved it by leaving him for ten years.
The next person didn't have the confidence to do anything so leaving the field hasn't reassured him or solved his issues-I'm thinking why your friend hasn't done a stage one with bloods at some point in those nine months.
A horse that size left that long raises alarm bells for certain unless I know the why.

But he owes you nothing unless he gains your trust. You are already thinking of retiring from retirement.
Are you on a livery paying for two? I don't think I would want a big field ornament when my other one has friends?

Misha

Nov 28, 2018
It sort of reads that there is something wrong and nobody has got to the bottom of it.
The original owner he was napping with, they solved it by leaving him for ten years.
The next person didn't have the confidence to do anything so leaving the field hasn't reassured him or solved his issues-I'm thinking why your friend hasn't done a stage one with bloods at some point in those nine months.
A horse that size left that long raises alarm bells for certain unless I know the why.

But he owes you nothing unless he gains your trust. You are already thinking of retiring from retirement.
Are you on a livery paying for two? I don't think I would want a big field ornament when my other one has friends?
Yes I'm on DIY livery on a small yard if that's all hes ever going to be a field ornament/ companion they that's fine with me I will still get enjoyment by grooming him fussing him when hes brought in and taking him for walks I wont let him go to anyone else because I don't believe in passing horses around from owner to owner hes with me for life I wont have him PTS until I think it's time and hes suffering and hes not having a good quality life I want to give him the best life I can for the rest of his days with me hes 17 yo now I will have both of my horses for the rest of there lives

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy

Horse&PonyGal18

Jan 27, 2020
My mum has a 13.2 pony just like yours who i ride now and then but honestly i think you will be fine to get on. I am 5'6 and about 14lbs, and the pony doesn't bother one bit, i have made sure with vets when she has had vaccinations about if i am doing any harm to her and they have told me that if the pony was in any discomfort that she would let me know or throw me off. Im not the best at giving advice but i feel like this information might help. By the way he is gorgeous

Reactions: Misha and Huggy