Bit advice!?

G

I've just got an Irish sports horse & I'm wanting some bit advice please! He's not strong but tends to gawk round in the school avoiding an outline! Struggling with steering a bit as well. Wanting something to use for everything - hacking, jumping & schooling to encourage him into a soft outline! Any advice would be appreciated.

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
How old is he, how schooled is he? A good outline is created when a horse works from behind and over his back. If a horse is correctly schooled and has developed the musculature needed to work in an outline, but still evades the bit, then you can start playing around with different bits to encourage a horse to accept it more. Others would be better advising you on options., But make sure you are not just trying to use a bit to force a false outline without the foundations in place.

G

He's 9 and been schooled a lot but not for the last couple of months before I got him. What sort of exercises should I be doing to encourage him to work from behind? Thanks for your advice.
How old is he, how schooled is he? A good outline is created when a horse works from behind and over his back. If a horse is correctly schooled and has developed the musculature needed to work in an outline, but still evades the bit, then you can start playing around with different bits to encourage a horse to accept it more. Others would be better advising you on options., But make sure you are not just trying to use a bit to force a false outline without the foundations in place.
!-: