Bits in the dishwasher - why not?

diamonddogs

Apr 14, 2008
Badiddlyboing, Odawidaho
I've always chucked my bits in the dishwasher, given them a rinse in boiling water and stuck them back on the bridle, and I mentioned this at the yard today and most people nearly fainted. Apparently this is not a Good Thing to do, but it brings them up beautifully, as well as cleaning them thoroughly and sterilising them.

Is it such a bad thing to do? I wouldn't put the bit back on the bridle let alone in her mouth without thoroughly rinsing it.

Snowyboy

Jun 6, 2007
Sunny South Wales
oooo, I always put mine in the dishwasher - and the stirrups! The come up lovely - been doing it 3 years without incident so err, what is the problem????

I like you rinse as well just to be 100% sure that there is no dishwasher powder still on it ......

LauraGeeGee

Oct 5, 2008
Collier Row, Essex
I do it. :smoke:

As you say, it gets a good sterilise and a really good rinse. I do rinse it again myself.

Must admit, I had the same looks when I mentioned this at my yard! Though I think they thought I meant I'd put it in the tea room dish washer!

Would be interested what others think as I thought it was quite a normal thing! :redface:

Jay.o

Aug 15, 2002
Berkshire
Visit site
When I was riding mine I would rinse it after each wash, probably wash it in warm every week or two and put it in the dishwasher on an around monthly basis :D

My mum was horrified too... but I think it was more of a case of my horse's bits in with her dishes that was the issue... ;) My partner is the same... I do it when he's not there, same as my badages and wraps in the washer machine :D

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
Mine have always gone in there and the stirrups as well, I always give it a rinse off, but fail to see why it's a problem ?

We eat off the plates that come out of there after all !

Snowyboy

Jun 6, 2007
Sunny South Wales
hmmm, interesting that no one has said why NOT!

I keep coming back to see why I shouldn't be doing this - any offers!!!!

I really am genuinely interested to know the arguments against - no hidden agendas etc - genuine curiosity!

Libbyo

Mar 5, 2006
West Sussex
I dishwasher my bits. its easy and they come up nice. Old yard had a dishwasher- Posh no. Just an unwanted donation. And the YO used to go mad if she caught me doing my bits (equine!lol) in the DW!

Nov 15, 2006
Great Yarmouth
I do bits and stirrups in the dishwasher too.

The only reason I can think for people not liking it, is the thought of horse saliva and perhaps dirt or poo if you do your stirrups, being transfered to your dishes. Do people who do use the dishwasher, put their bits and stirrups in with their plates and stuff? I do. Perhaps they might think it more acceptable if the horse stuff was on a separate run?

Laura_107

Oct 15, 2010
Edinburgh
I think it's a great idea!

As for why people think you shouldn't be doing this, maybe they think the detergent may affect the metal or whatever material the bit is made from? Agreed that maybe they don't like the idea of it being washed alongside your dishes and cutlery. Not sure. We trust them to sterilise things that go in our mouth, so why not use them to clean things that go in your horses mouth?

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
I do bits and stirrups in the dishwasher too.

The only reason I can think for people not liking it, is the thought of horse saliva and perhaps dirt or poo if you do your stirrups, being transfered to your dishes. Do people who do use the dishwasher, put their bits and stirrups in with their plates and stuff? I do. Perhaps they might think it more acceptable if the horse stuff was on a separate run?
I do do mine on a seperate wash, not with plates etc

BUT I have a child with low immunity and have never had a problem regarding people hygiene with it.

But then I use the washing machine for horse rugs too :help:

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I think putting bits in the dishwasher is a jolly good idea! My mate on the yard we were on used to boil 'em! I've never (insert blushing naughty bad tack keeper icon here) done mine though......guess I could now I have a dishwasher though.......

Snowyboy

Jun 6, 2007
Sunny South Wales
I put the bit in the cutlery bit in its own section but there will still be cutlery in there

and the stirrups go up in the top section - with all the cups

no-one's been ill yet!!!!!

I do put the rubbers in the sink and wash but I will admit they go in on their own bowl of hot water

and yeah, I do rugs in the washing machine as well - not really hairy ones mind