Drag to reposition cover

Coffee Shop Chat

Properties from Landhousefarm.com

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
...la la land
Been baking this morning. Cheese and onion loaves.
Saw a jamie oliver recipe on the tv the other day, for flapjack biscuit, so gave that a go. Think it needed some more golden syrup to glue it together more.
Made more peanut butter cookies and melting moments as well.

Was cooking the bread for breakfast, but ended up snacking on biscuits so eating fresh bread for lunch instead.

Reactions: Trewsers

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
@Trewsers a question for you or Mr T maybe. Those flat breads, does he weigh out the ingredients or just wing it. What ingredients please. How does he cook it. In oven or pan.
He does them in a really hot frying pan with no oil. He wings it but roughly two eight ounce cups of flour, two hundred millilitres of water, pinch of salt, one table spoon of extra virgin olive oil. Strong white bread flour.
Start with less water 150 mil and add. Wants to be like a firm dough (these are his words) add flour or water to get consistency right. Knead for ten mins.
we have a bread maker to do the mixing which does make life easy. It makes the dough easy.
Roll it out that quantity makes four to five seven inch round flats. Get the pan really hot drop them in, for two mins per side. Press them with a damp clean t towel in the pan and they should puff up. When done put on a plate and wrap in a towel to set and cool.

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Oh and keep the pan hot. The pan might end up with black bits but after the third bread or so he generally takes a wooden spoon to get shut of those and then puts the pan back on the hob. He says for the last bread you might have to turn the heat down a bit.
And you might need two and a half cups, just depending on the mixture, it’s trial and error to start with. He also said the finished dough is quite firm. I hope it works for you if you have a go!

newforest

Somewhere in the solar system
Mar 15, 2008
I can see a boat load arriving at yours now then @Trewsers.

The fact it stays light so late world be great for taking photos, looking at your houses and sipping wine, oh and eating all your food.
How many can you cope with :)

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I can see a boat load arriving at yours now then @Trewsers.

The fact it stays light so late world be great for taking photos, looking at your houses and sipping wine, oh and eating all your food.
How many can you cope with :)
lol yes by the time I’m done there will be a boat load! Heheheee. This time next year if theres no virus we should do a NR meet!!! Bring your own tents though as I’ve only got one spare room :D

• Love
Reactions: Jessey

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Been baking this morning. Cheese and onion loaves.
Saw a jamie oliver recipe on the tv the other day, for flapjack biscuit, so gave that a go. Think it needed some more golden syrup to glue it together more.
Made more peanut butter cookies and melting moments as well.

Was cooking the bread for breakfast, but ended up snacking on biscuits so eating fresh bread for lunch instead.
I bought some golden syrup on the shopping the other week and was wondering what to make - or ask mr t to make. I half fancied a cake but flapjacks are always good too

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
...la la land
Thanks @Trewsers will give your recipe a go soon. Have tried making some before but wasnt sure i got it right. I do recall trying to cremate the pan which is why i thought at the time it wasnt right. I saw someone do them on a griddle type thing as well but didnt know the recipe they used. I did wonder how you cooked yours. Thankyou.

Your ok you can keep your wine and your beer i wont drink either. Ill bring a supply of lamb and beef.

A stupid question from me as i dont know the answer, having not travelled. Ive never been out the country does one need a passport for travel to the island or is it still part of the uk.
Do you need a passport for identification if you fly on these im going to say internal flights not sure what there called. Like when you fly Birmingham to Edinburgh say.

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Thanks @Trewsers will give your recipe a go soon. Have tried making some before but wasnt sure i got it right. I do recall trying to cremate the pan which is why i thought at the time it wasnt right. I saw someone do them on a griddle type thing as well but didnt know the recipe they used. I did wonder how you cooked yours. Thankyou.

Your ok you can keep your wine and your beer i wont drink either. Ill bring a supply of lamb and beef.

A stupid question from me as i dont know the answer, having not travelled. Ive never been out the country does one need a passport for travel to the island or is it still part of the uk.
Do you need a passport for identification if you fly on these im going to say internal flights not sure what there called. Like when you fly Birmingham to Edinburgh say.
You don't need a passport to travel to the islands up here. But it's dead novel and exciting once you leave England and cross the border lol I loved telling my mum I'd gone to another country!! hehehee. I haven't held a UK passport for twenty years - not since our wedding in Vegas - so am not sure at all on passports within Europe. You don't need one for internal flights - we once visited South and had to be away one night only so quickest way is to fly.

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Well what a shennanigan just now!
Storm and Zi had teeth done today and needed sedation. All went really well. Until just now when OH poked his head out and I heard "what are you doing there" and it was Zi lol
He'd escaped! He looked like a zombie horse - I think the sedation has bewildered him somewhat - seem to think the same effect last time. He was on his way (very slowly) to the field. Nope, you're going back in - Chloe was in the field and they don't go out together. I don't think he really knew where he was heading actually. He complied nicely and went back - very very sloooooowly.................................
Storm's still doped.

• Haha
Reactions: Jessey and Huggy

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
Thanks for the flat bread recipe. It is similar to my chapatti recipe. In case anyone is cooking up Indian.
Whereas I cook pitta bread pockets in the oven and get in a terrible mess with flour everywhere. I cook chapattis on a griddle (tava)

A tip for anyone trying this. Even if a mix with flour does not incude yeast, one should ideally leave the dough to stand around for an hour or half an hour before rolling out the breads. I used to ignore this instruction when making pastry. However, I learned from Paul Hollywood that the reason one rests the dought is that the flour grains mixed with the water swell and become elastic when left to rest, and one wants the dough to be elastic so that the top surface of each chapatti will puff up.
It is the water content in the dough turning to steam when it warms up on the hot cooking surface, that blows it up into a pocket.
So although one doesnt want the bread mix to be sticky, I dont think it should be too dry either.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
lol yes by the time I’m done there will be a boat load! Heheheee. This time next year if theres no virus we should do a NR meet!!! Bring your own tents though as I’ve only got one spare room :D
I have a tent that's blown into the field, still trying to get at it.

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
I'm in a bit of an awkward situation as my landlady looks after a lady with dementia but as she has gone away for a few weeks she asked me to drop some milk round mid week. That's not a problem but it also involves sitting and chatting to her in her house which I shouldn't really be doing.

I've not heard from this ladies daughter the whole time (she lives about an hour away) and has my number

And now my landlady has said the daughter can't make it down over the weekend so I need to go do her full shop etc. Why doesn't the daughter contact me and let me know then.

My landlady travels alot all the time usually and I'm worried about this becoming a regular thing. Sounds awful but I don't want to commit to that. I don't know these people at all and I have my own grandparents with dementia to help look after and worry about.

Any advice? Obviously will keep looking after her until my landlady is back from travels. I've messaged the daughter this morning asking when she wants me to go and what to buy so hopefully will hear back soon.

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
And now my landlady has said the daughter can't make it down over the weekend so I need to go do her full shop etc. Why doesn't the daughter contact me and let me know then.
Any advice? Obviously will keep looking after her until my landlady is back from travels. I've messaged the daughter this morning asking when she wants me to go and what to buy so hopefully will hear back soon.
You ask for advice and this wont be welcome. However.
It is a pity Ale that you did respond and offer help.
It is hard for a caring person like you to say no, but it is important sometimes. You need to concentrate on yourself and your family.

I dont know about your area but ours (via facebook group?) does have things set up to help older people on their own. There are volunteers who deliver shopping and also if it is to be a regular thing, the supermarkets.

One worrying feature of this is the you have not been asked by the family itself but by your landlady. Is this in lieu of rent?

You are working and doing a uni course and volunteering and you have Ale. Plus your mum has been in the hospital. You need to put these people in touch with other volunteers and help agencies.

So my advice is to look and see if there is a help group for your area or constituency on facebook. And put your landlady in touch with them. Plus point out that you certainly shouldnt be going from a place of work where the ublic are shopping too into the home of an elderly person. You could explain that that is not recommended and an alternative should be found.

Reactions: Ale

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
...la la land
You are in a tricky spot. I found it difficult talking to someone with dementia but its because of the type of person i am. The best thing you can do is possible offer to make a cup of tea, so you arent perhaps in the same room as her and try to sit or stand the opposite side of the room.

Sometimes family can be cruel and will wash there hands if they are not the caring sort. They rely on the people around there elderly member, like there friends, the neighbours etc to look after there relative. Its a society thing. You have two choices here you can either help your landlady or say no. If youve agreed to it now whilst the landlady is away then you have to carry on but perhaps talk to your landlady once she is back and tell her its not something you want to do regularly. Im sure she will understand. Some people are just not able to care for other people. Yet we will think nothing of care for animals. Its just who we are. Perhaps suggest to your ladylady about a local care groups that offer these services. At the moment a number have been set up. Theyll probably be around for a while given the situation.

I think with regards to shopping, all you can do is go through the fridge/freezer and see whats low and buy more. It depends how bad this ladys dementia is. If shes still complice mentus then she will tell you what she wants. Just remember to check on things like loo rolls and washing up liquid etc too.

Reactions: Trewsers and Ale

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Sorry but you've just committed.

"so I need to go do her full shop"
No you don't. There are organisations out there and adult social services. Assuming that the person will accept that. It's not always the case that the family washes their hands, often the person will not accept help and won't let anyone in.

Is this the same landlady that you were doing things for before and couldn't say no?
I would start from now learning to say no. Spare time is what's left after you have done everything in your day.

I wouldn't be happy for a relative to be dumped on someone they didn't know, especially dementia.
I would even be thinking of retracting my agreement if dropping milk in, what if this person has a fall? It's going to come back on you.

Reactions: Trewsers and Ale

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
Thankyou all. Really helpful replies and advice as always.

I help house and pet sit for my land lady and run small errands such as getting post for a reduction in my rent. She is usually away for over half the year, if not more and this works really well and I feel is a very good deal. Dropping milk round to a local ish friend would count as a small errand in my opinion so I didn't mind doing it.

The lady is lovely and very sweet and I have no problem at all dropping milk round once a week outside the door which is what I agreed to. I would do that for anyone it's not a problem.

But now I've been put in a position I didn't agree to. I will buy her shopping and visit keeping my distance but won't do it in the future. I will look into some local groups and things that I can give to my landlady to suggest to the daughter for next time. But that's as far as I'm really willing to go. I've been through all this with my parents and grandparents don't really want to do it again for a family I don't even know.

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
@Ale I think it's a shame you've been put in this position, but I find that people can and do often take advantage of others. I don't think it's right that you've been asked to actually go into her house and spend time in there - dementia is very difficult (I know your grandparents suffer? I think you mentioned this) and my own father passed away last year due to it. In it's advanced stages it's really hard for family members and being honest - professional people deal with it a lot lot better. Anyway, I'm waffling - but I don't think you ought to be doing all that shopping for her. It's really not on - and up to her relatives to sort out. It sounds like you have a good arrangement with your landlady in lots of ways - however, on this occasion I think she's put you in a bit of a spot. It's very kind of you to deliver milk - but going as far as going in there with a full shop is another kettle of fish.
And newforest is right - people don't always want to let people in to do these things - as in paid professionals but that's not really your concern - if this lady has relatives it's up to them.

Reactions: Huggy

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Just settling my two cheese toastie (Orkney Wife and Cheddar) with olives and sardines on the side. Yum. After yesterday's carry-on I'm extra tired today - and have paid work to do (I'm putting it off a bit!). I suppose I'd better get on. Could do with a virtual push.................................

newrider.com