Freezemark v microchip

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
What do you do with your Horses, Sioned as yet, is NEITHER:eek: But V. soon to be done but I cannot make up my mind which way to go OR to do both.

To my mind Freezemarking is an instant detterant (sp?) its there for
all and sundry to see immediately. New Shettie has already been
Microchipped.

Have recently been told a 'horror' story about a Cob that WAS Microchipped
and Passported that got stolen and taken to Ireland. Luckily the Owner was
of a similar 'community' himself and had lots of contacts, made some enquiries, found his Horse :) and it was brought back a week later:rolleyes:.No Questions asked really.

Apparently they show customs so many passports, say they have 'so many
Horses' and usually have a few extra and NOBODY actually CHECKS:eek: They took him OUT and they brought him BACK with absolutely no problems:eek: NOW I know this is true because I know the Owner, he delivers my straw.

Last edited:

Zulu_Pony

Aug 5, 2008
Gloucester :P
I personally think freezemarked because then if a horse does get stolen, if a passerby is suspicious then they cant check your horse's micro-chip, but can look at its freeze mark. :)

But just to be safe i think both would be a good option :)

Hope i helped

Zulu_Pony

x x x x x

May 19, 2005
Guildford, Surrey
I would always go for freezemarking over microchiping. I know for a fact that Horse Watch agree that freezemarking is a far better way of deterring theft and if it does happen then it is far easier for Horse Watch people to indentify your horse from a distance. I had my mare done as soon as soon she was old enough (1 year). I had the mark done in the saddle area, but it is now advised by both Horse Watch and the Police to have marks done on the shoulder as then stolen horses can be identified when under saddle at show grounds etc. Also make sure you mark your rugs - there were a couple of freezemarked horses stollen earlier this year that had rugs on - so mark the rugs with white paint, esp if your horse lives out. I am going to do this soon to mine, make a template out of cardboard and get some white spray paint.

Both Farmkey and Freezemark have extremely good recovery records, something like 97% and 100% respectively. I think Farmkey is slightly lower as they have been around a lot longer. But the bottom line thing is, not many freezemarked horses get stollen in the first place!

Dec 30, 2000
Ideally both, but if you can only afford one, freezemark, every time. It's a visible detterent which microchipping isn't.

Like your friend, a friend of mine had her pony stolen and was VERY lucky to get him back - he wasn't freezemarked but was microchipped.

K

kturner

I have a grey so cannot freezemark, although this would be my first choice. I have also heard of microchips being removed which cant be very pleasant for the horse!

My pony has major problems with vets because of previous illnesses, and was rearing and kicking at vet who tried to do microchip. She lost the chip, couldnt get a reading and we couldnt find it on the floor either, so she left without trying again.

4 months later he got a huge lump on his neck which festered and the microchip came out having migrated at least 9 inches down his neck.

We didnt try doing it again, so he still has nothing. But our livery is a privat home with a policelady with 3 dogs, so hopefully he is safe there.

I often think of getting my own field but worry too much about security to take then plunge.

MrKia+Me

Non member
Aug 1, 2008
I had Kia microshiped as he is bad enough with needles nevermind trying to frees brand him and at his age with his arthritus and scars I dont think anyone would buy him.

Famer has put it about that he is old and rickety so when if anyone had to ask about him they wouldnt want him lol :cool:

Nikki xxx

Dec 30, 2000
I have a grey so cannot freezemark
Untrue - on a grey they do a bald mark rather than a white mark. They just hold the irons on longer and instead of the hair growing back white, it just doesn't grow back. Ie it kills the follicle instead of the pigment. Obviously means if your grey is pink skinned rather than black skinned you'll need to apply suncream in the summer but I think that's a far better fate than risking the horse being stolen due to not freezemarking because of his colour.

devonlass

May 20, 2006
devon
My lad is microchipped already (done as a foal by breeder,he did that as couldn't recognise them otherwise when they came in off the fell months later lol:p).

I have thought about a freezemark as a more visible deterrent,but TBH he is jet black all over and I just can't bear the thought of ruining how he looks:eek:

Also one of his very few faults is that he is not good with the vets,soon as they are within touching distance he is very suspicious,and when they start poking or prodding he turns into demon pony,have a feeling he would be the same with anyone who came to freezemark him,think it would be game over once they got within 6 feet of him TBH,little beggar:rolleyes:

He is on a VERY secure yard,so not too much of a worry,but all the same I should probably think on it some more.

Kerpug

May 12, 2007
I have both but would always go for freezemark 1st. I know someone who had their horse microchipped but not freezemarked as thought it didnt look nice and horse was stolen and has never been recovered! I would not know what to do with myself if my lad went so i got him both and it turns out that i had 2 freezemarks in end which makes me sleep at night! :D

Dec 30, 2000
I've heard so many people say freezemarks can be altered but have never seen a horse with an altered freezemark - and any alteration would (IMHO) be rather obvious and a bit of a giveaway on a stolen horse...I'm already very suspicious of any travellers horses wearing rugs (wonder what they're hiding) so if I saw a horse with a white square on its shoulder (for example) I'd suspect foul play and would be on the phone to Horse Watch and the person in charge of horse theft at my local police station pronto...

Dec 30, 2000
And where would they get the equipment to chill the irons to the temperature required for it to work? I'm sceptical and until someone shows me a picture (at least!) of a horse that's had its freezemark altered, I'm afraid it won't deter me from recommending freezemarking to anyone that even mentions the word. Anything to stop someone else going through what my friend did when her horse was stolen.

xloopylozzax

Jan 14, 2008
Leeds
i know people who change their horses markings so they have matching pairs (or teams :rolleyes:) down to blazes and socks.

it is done, theres hooky people in all horse businesses- vets, farriers, people who freezemark, dealers, imprters, exporters etc.

if you know the right people you can get whatever you want tbh

xloopylozzax

Jan 14, 2008
Leeds
how- basically burn them with something (i dont know, i dont know them well, more know of them if you get what i mean) damages skin tissue so hair grows back white.

voila perfect matching markings