Heartbroken

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
Yup - fingers crossed. It's hopefully good that his weight is controllable, and that he's been laminitis free.

Lemme

May 22, 2008
East Yorkshire
fingers crossed for you. I have 3 natives still shedding despite daily grooming, will prob let it all go just in time for their winter coat coming in. Tess 29yrs young has had a coat for 3 summers now, we will have to clip her out this summer to make her comfortable, fortunately we have not had the prolonged heat we had last year, we have had very few days were we have not had a breeze on the Hill field which has helped.

Reactions: Huggy

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
I agree with everyone else. Also horses can be managed with it.
I too know how it feels for a horse to be diagnosed with cushings... sox was 10. But since he has been on meds he has been fine. Ok there is the bloods whixh cost 160 quid twice a year as he cant have the standard one as it doesnt show up! Silly boy.
Hugs x

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
My share mare had it for years - was treated with up to date meds and tho she looked extra hairy, she had a happy retirement from the school, hacking with me and died in her twenties of something else.

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
he's just not right, I know he can play the old soldier but he is a bit lethargic. Today I am weighing up do I ride him or just do his pamper session for the show next weekend and then maybe take him out in the box somewhere nice with Harrison poodle and all three of us just go for an amble walking together.

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
he's just not right, I know he can play the old soldier but he is a bit lethargic. Today I am weighing up do I ride him or just do his pamper session for the show next weekend and then maybe take him out in the box somewhere nice with Harrison poodle and all three of us just go for an amble walking together.
That sounds like a plan. If you'd enjoy that, he probably will too. Sometimes it's nice to just chill and enjoy their company - for both of you.

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
he has had a first go at getting his socks clean and his tail, turned him out with legging on and laundering the rest of his leggings. I worm tested them this week and he has a high worm burden so what with that and the flu jab I am just letting him relax. Should be able to worm him early this week when the wormers arrive and see how we go.

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
A high worm burden could explain both the poor coat and the lethargy, hopefully it isn't cushings and a simple course of wormer is all he needs :)

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
it's the coat texture Jessey it's is more like a coconut mat it isn't his normal coat. and he's never had it before. He had a high worm count in 2016 but the coat was ok. weird results some were zero, a couple at 200epg then him at 1400epg. Every now and then of them goes ballistic, usually Suze or Fleur, aimee did it once. Very odd.

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
it's the coat texture Jessey it's is more like a coconut mat it isn't his normal coat. and he's never had it before. He had a high worm count in 2016 but the coat was ok. weird results some were zero, a couple at 200epg then him at 1400epg. Every now and then of them goes ballistic, usually Suze or Fleur, aimee did it once. Very odd.
They say 80% of the worms in a field are normally in 1 or 2 of a herd while the rest are low. I have seen the coarse coat from worms before, young nobby cob who I rescued a few years ago had it, scraggy long bits that were very coarse and had hung on into summer. Once wormed (and fed in his case) his coat went lovely and soft/shiney.

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
They say 80% of the worms in a field are normally in 1 or 2 of a herd while the rest are low. I have seen the coarse coat from worms before, young nobby cob who I rescued a few years ago had it, scraggy long bits that were very coarse and had hung on into summer. Once wormed (and fed in his case) his coat went lovely and soft/shiney.
it is a bit like he is growing a bit of a beard on top of his summer coat

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
My field companion is on her 30’s with mild Cushing she is not on any medication never had lami either the only reason she is not ridden still is she has allergies that makes her rub her head and bum on fences not good when children are on board.

Think on good side he is sound

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
There is a new circular ride locally, just opened 9 mile route. Walked a bit of it today, the first section he would enjoy so will pencil that in for him.

Reactions: Jessey

Jane&Ziggy

Learning together!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Oh that reminds me of Ziggy. He loved looking into people's houses and gardens. Whenever we rode past one of the great big stockbrokers' mansions around here he would stop in the gateway and have a good look. If it was a horsey place and I dropped the reins, he would start to wander in. Delusions of grandeur!

• Haha

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
Got his results tonight. Normal reading would be 30, rising to 50 this month as the readings get higher at this time of year. He is 32. So would not currently treat him and re-evaluate in November and if necessary do a full dynamic test. Put him out at night and on the older longer grass of which we have a field about 3ft high. Keep him in work and if possible increase it.....I haven't the heart to break that news to him.