How much straw...

Mr Ed

Mar 1, 2009
Ed will be stabled form end October to end of March. He has a reasonably size stable, with a concrete floor. I've never stabled before, so just want a rough idea of how many bales I need to start his stable and how many I'll need each week to keep him going. I shall be mucking out each day.

Any guesses, so I can order/budget??

Thank you

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Oh I loved putting down the new first bed for ours when they had new boxes - and when we were on a yard we moved stable blocks, so I had to start from scratch then too. If you are talking about the normal size of straw (not the huge farmer sized bales) then I would say roughly about 6 bales to start with. You may need more than this depending on if you'd like to make bankings and what size they need to be? I made bankings quite deep for Joe as he had a habit of getting cast - but I have heard since that this doesn't stop horses getting stuck. Anyway, he doesn't tend to roll indoors anymore.

I like to give them a nice deep bed - and I have Storm on straw (Joe is fussy and is on Nedz Bedz which is chopped and treated straw and more expensive). I top her bed up with about 2 slices of straw each day. But then again, you might need more as I also have some Nedz Bedz down for her in the places I know she does her wee.

Gosh, there is so much to bed making for horses isn't there?!!!!!!
Oh, just another point, sometimes when you put all that lot down to start with it gets a bit dusty, might be worth you wearing a dust mask like the ones decorators use, as I ended up having a massive sneezing fit after doing ours!!!

Mr Ed

Mar 1, 2009
Thanks Trewsers,

Wow, six bales to start with..... think ours will cost £2.50 ea (so £15). I guess around 2 fresh slices each day will equate to two small bales each week. So £20 for the first week and then a £5 after that..

Will tie a scarf around my mouth/nose (good tip!) :giggle:

Mr Ed

Mar 1, 2009
I've just laid a new bed in my new stable for Demi and I love great big banks and deep beds of straw they always look more inviting. I am not sure how much i put in because we have the huge bales on our new yard. I will post a pic later of her lush new bed :D x
Looking forward to the pics :giggle: Think I will probably start with a 5* luxury bed, until the novelty wears off :giggle:

Hahaha i was like that when i was paying a per bale price, but straw is thrown in with the hay in my livery package. Which is 140 per month bargain :D i am not taking the p*ss with the straw here tho just incase they change there minds. lol

Looking forward to the pics :giggle: Think I will probably start with a 5* luxury bed, until the novelty wears off :giggle:

LauraGeeGee

Oct 5, 2008
Collier Row, Essex
I started with 4 bales and it made a lovely bed. They were very tightly packed bales that fluffed up very well.

Spent ages making nice neat banks etc. Don't bother with banks now as Rosie just pulls them all down in about 5 minutes:giggle:. It's the first thing she does before tucking into her hay!

I'll be our first Winter so I can't advise on that. She's our most of the time so at the moment, I'm only getting through one bale a fortnight, that's with her munching on it sometimes too!

tazzy-anne

Sep 27, 2007
North Staff's
i would say i used about 4 bales to start with in a normal 12x12 stable (i used the same amount with rubber mats as i did without!). then i use 1 per week exactly - get a new one each weekend and it easily lasts till the next weekend. thats a full muck out daily, big horse, in about 14hrs per night. very occasionally it might need a second one per week top-up, but generally 1 bale replaces it enough (& i spoil him so never let it get too low!).

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
Madams bed was 2 bales deep I think - but not a 12x12 stable. And was topped up with one bale a week - two slices a day or so. Occasionally needed two a week - I used about 5 in four weeks.

Mr Ed

Mar 1, 2009
Thank you - that helps no end. Just trying to work out how much I need to order in, as the farmer delivers every three weeks (I think), but obviously there's a limit to the amount of storage I have for storage and hay.

Looks like about 10 bales of straw would be ample for first three weeks (including bed)....

:dance:

Mr Ed

Mar 1, 2009
Looks lovely and cosy Myfunkyhorse. I'm looking forward to tucking Ed up for the night......

Thanks for the pics and the estimates!

May 23, 2008
stalybridge
I used to use a couple of bales a week for each horse after intial big bed but will be cutting down this year and getting mats for them as our hay and straw is now fiver a bale each so going to be an expensive year

devonlass

May 20, 2006
devon
I can't abide straw,always used shavings and shredded paper (sorry not a snob really,just can't stand the smell of straw once they pee on it,and shavings beds always look so clean and nice!!).Would agree though from memory of using straw that would need around 5 bales for a nice deep bed to start with.
I always used at least two bales a week to top up,but like I said hated the smell so always took out quite a lot each day.

£2.50 a bale sounds quite cheap for this year as have heard yeild is poor,can you stock up now in case price rises as stocks get low??