Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Just bought a new horse and need advice please

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by Gillylou, Jan 8, 2018.

1. newforest

newforest Why have grain, when you can have yummy grain

Yes as any reply is pretty pointless isn't it.

domane likes this.
  2. KP nut

KP nut I'd rather be riding.

OP I have every sympathy.

I agree with whoever said the dealer saw you coming. He pressured you unfairly with his nonsense about needing the horse gone immediately as he needed the stables. Of course you did not need to take him straight away especially as you had already said you were not expecting him to hold the horse for you. Good dealers give people time to make good decisions. And good dealers would want to set things up for success too. But I can also see how hard it is faced with a man full of blarney and a child who has fallen for the horse to just think 'oh we'll figure something out!'

Whether or not you have a legal right to a refund needs to be weighed against the hassle of trying to get one. I was sold a horse who was not fit for purpose and I was advised that I had a very strong chance of winning if it went to court but that it would be a lengthy and time consuming process. So in the end I went for a swap and not a refund even though in my case the 'not fit for purpose' was clear cut.

It is not possible from your description of the behaviour to know whether the horse is unsuitable. Though the pushy behaviour of the dealer and the fact that the horse's height is wrong suggests it might be. But even bad dealers get good horses in to sell so I would personally go for the swap option - taking an experienced friend or riding instructor with you to help you choose. It is quite hard for a novice to sell on a horse they are struggling to manage. A horse who could be sold as a nice prospect in work and advertised with nice pictures of hacking, jumping and shown to good advantage by a rider at viewings may end up being sold instead as a 'problem' and virtually sold from the field. Sales livery is another option.

Good luck x

3. Lemme

Lemme Well-Known Member

maybe realised that she has to take some responsibility for this, I have a problem with purchasing a horse 16hh or 17hh for what the OP describes herself as a total novice Child who was probably elated at the thought of her first horse and set her heart on it whatever they viewed - even I with my need to visit spec savers on a regular basis can tell when someone is over horsed with a horse this size and a tall child its not difficult even without the total novice element and a difference of 4" from advertised height - but they have and now unfortunately it will be the horse that has to live with that as it gets pushed around. The fact that it is described as initially perfect and safe from one visit/viewing/ride to totally turn to be the opposite is not beyond the realms of possibility there are some out there that will dope in this type of scenario If infact the horse is now showing its true temperament wouldn't rule it out but you would have no way of proving it and if that is the case then I have some sympathy as if no recourse on the dealer then they may have some difficulties in selling - and may have to take a hit - they don't say how much paid but suspect not cheap - either way think they may end up having to cut losses and it put it down to experience - IMO it wouldn't be fair to the horse to keep in novice hands, in the right experienced hands to could well be a very different story. No age given for horse, can only hope its not a youngster!

Gillylou likes this.
  4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins Well-Known Member

I wouldn't get too hung up on the size of the horse. My horse is 16.1hh and built like a tank (he is a shire x), but he is suitable for the most nervous rider and is a complete saint. Just because the horse is big, it doesn't automatically mean it is not suitable for a novice.

Gillylou, HaloHoney, Taffie and 2 others like this.
  6. newforest

newforest Why have grain, when you can have yummy grain

A novice could be overhorsed with a shetland if it's unsuitable! So agree with above.

HaloHoney, Cortrasna and orbvalley like this.
  7. KP nut

KP nut I'd rather be riding.

Size is irrelevant. They used a HUUUUGE dope on a rope gentle giant for beginner lessons at my old yard. He was a total Saint. And in my experience, ponies are often quirkier and cheekier than horses.

Gillylou likes this.
  8. Frances144

Frances144 Remember me?

It is just so textbook imho.

HaloHoney, newforest and Cortrasna like this.
  9. Cortrasna

Cortrasna Grumpy old nag

I have to confess that was my original thoughts and was going to quietly ignore - but had to give my usual gobby reply just in case!

mystiquemalaika and domane like this.
  10. Trewsers

Trewsers Well-Known Member

Our lovely Zi is 17hh and a dutch warmblood and I feel very suitable for a pair of novices. He is a saint to hack compared to 15hh of connie x pony:oops: in fact - he is so well mannered and kind he doesn't feel at all as big as he really is:)

Gillylou, HaloHoney and newforest like this.
  11. joosie

joosie horse slave

Totally worth reading, and as usual bang on the money ;)

mystiquemalaika and newforest like this.
  12. HaloHoney

HaloHoney Well-Known Member

Yes. This. My muppet of a 16.3 DWB x ISH is an absolute saint/complete Dobbin for everything. Just stands there, doesn’t put a hoof wrong. Teeth, clipping, 11 weeks of box rest, kids draping themselves over him- quiet as a lamb. I’ve stuck my 9 year old who had never ridden anything before on his back, and he was an absolute gem. Cost me another kidney in riding lessons for my son, that did, but hey ho. o_O

Gillylou and CharliesAngel like this.
  13. Gillylou

Gillylou New Member

Thank you to everyone who has given me positive advice and possible-solutions. Since my original post, I have had his tack checked, additional vet and dentist check and I have had an experienced rider work with me to establish our horses insecurities. The horse did settle on the livery, and became a lovely polite gent in his stable but unfortunately it is terrified when other horses are not near and will not hack out alone. After many attempts of the experienced rider riding our horse she confirmed that the horse wasn’t suitable for a novice and it would need further assistance to hack out alone for the safety of itself and of the rider. Naturally my daughter is devastated and we have learned a lot due to this experience. We have issued our letter to the dealer within 30 days stating not fit for purpose.
    It’s been a very unpleasant experience for all of us, including our horse. But whatever the outcome I would never buy a horse from a dealer and will thoroughly take our time in choosing another horse if my daughter gets over this experience, thanks again.

Lemme and carthorse like this.
  14. Gillylou

Gillylou New Member

Thanks, you have been very helpful

The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties