My favourite RS boy went on his final journey

HaloHoney

Apr 30, 2017
My first loan horse. He taught me an incredible amount. Ex-racehorse. 21 years old.

He wasn’t mine but the head coach came and told me herself that he was going to be pts today because she knew how much I loved him. He had a thyroid tumour which kept pressing on an artery in his neck making him faint. Vet said it was untreatable. He’d fallen over twice in his stable (cutting his shoulder quite badly) in the last 24 hours, so it was his time to go.

I was privileged I got to say goodbye... only I couldn’t bring myself to say that. It felt too final. So I just gave him a big pat and said thanks.

Enjoy the gallops in the sky, old friend. See you again one day.

RIP Duchamp. Absolute legend.

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Aw so sorry, it doesn't matter that you didn't own him, it still hurts :( best to let him go before the injuries got worse though.

Reactions: HaloHoney

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
So very sorry. I bet it hursts just as much even if he wasn’t ‘yours’.
Sounds like you had a great relationship with him.
xxxx

HaloHoney

Apr 30, 2017
He was a crotchety, bad-tempered, disagreeable old sod when the fancy took him to be so... but with me he had an understanding that I was kind, and that I wouldn’t hurt him.

And he had a merry old game one day shutting my head in my kit box that was outside the stable he was in! :p

My heart hurts, but I’ve realised that there was a knot in my stomach before that isn’t there now. I’ve known he wasn’t at his best for a while. I’m so privileged to have been able to pay my respects to him in person.

He couldn’t have cared less... because he had his head in a bucket of food when I did. :D

I’m smiling about him now. Sure there are tears, but what he has given me is an incredible gift. He set me on the path to finding my boy.

I’ve written a kids’ picture book about a racehorse that needs a new job. If I get it published, he’ll be the first one I thank in the dedication.

Reactions: Kite_Rider

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
So sad when we have to say goodbye to a dear old friend, regardless of if we ‘own’ them or not, doesn’t stop us loving them does it.