Norwegian Fjords

Libbyo

Mar 5, 2006
West Sussex
Several people have asked, so I thought Id post a few pics of my crew.

Asu and Xtreeemz
Asu is 4YO and Xtreeemz is 5 months

Princess Lena

She is my no 1 mare. we are kindred spirits, we have THAT bond. Shes had a bad year and been unsound for 6 months. She is getting a tiny bit better at the moment. Shes comming up for 20 years old

Maeva
The newest mare

Only been with us about a month. She is 9

Last edited:

Libbyo

Mar 5, 2006
West Sussex
Part 2

Part 2
Questy

4years old, bundle of energy. Ride and drive

Treacle

9Yo Fjord sec A cross

And finaly a non fjord

Ebony

Hope you like our little team.

Joyscarer

Dec 30, 2006
Hampshire
I love fjords. Your pics show them off well :D

One of the ladies on my yard recently got one and he really is lovely.

So give me a little more on the breed. What size range are they and although I understand they are up to carrying weight more so than the average pony, what sort of weight are we talking?

Libbyo

Mar 5, 2006
West Sussex
Ok

Hieight ranges from 13-to a max of 14.2 Questy I think is already about 14.3- opse! He thjinks Sussex clay is growmore me thinks.

Mini draft type, al rounders. Both driven and riden. Here in the Uk they had a bad reputation as nasty bargy creatures incapable of doing anything nicely. Thanks to forums such as these they status as an alrounder is improving.

Quick to learn, long to forget. Live for their stomach.

Can if treated right be loyal and loving friends, but can be very very arsy.

Weight carriers- I guess fully grown fit horse would carry 15/16 stone easy.

Hardy, most can live on air alone. Good feet. long working life.

Libbyo

Mar 5, 2006
West Sussex
There is a lot of body to take up your leg! Dont be so sure you would be too tall. My driving instructor has riden Questy and she is over 6 foot!

Joyscarer

Dec 30, 2006
Hampshire
Ok

Hieight ranges from 13-to a max of 14.2 Questy I think is already about 14.3- opse! He thjinks Sussex clay is growmore me thinks.

Mini draft type, al rounders. Both driven and riden. Here in the Uk they had a bad reputation as nasty bargy creatures incapable of doing anything nicely. Thanks to forums such as these they status as an alrounder is improving.

Quick to learn, long to forget. Live for their stomach.

Can if treated right be loyal and loving friends, but can be very very arsy.

Weight carriers- I guess fully grown fit horse would carry 15/16 stone easy.

Hardy, most can live on air alone. Good feet. long working life.

Thank you so much for that. :D

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
You got to love a Fjord, they make me laugh nearly as much as Shetlands do.

Here in the Uk they had a bad reputation as nasty bargy creatures incapable of doing anything nicely. Thanks to forums such as these they status as an alrounder is improving.
Funny isn't I have 3 breeds, which in general in the UK are thought of as awkward.

Shetlands kick and bite and drop kids left, right and centre,
Fjords barge and are arsey,
Icelandics have no brakes and bolt everywhere, nap and drop shoulders.

If you bring up your children with no boundaries and no respect and rules, you will get little tykes,

I am happy to report I have only been kicked once by a Shetland, an in foal mare (allowances have to be made, she's sweet as a little pie when not in foal)

I have been barged on and off by Fjords during their learning stages, but once they learn as mentioned they do not forget.

And teh Icelandics all have laid back attitudes and are not nutters.

Bring them up well and you will have a companion who will lay down his life for you.

Anyway here's all we have left in the Fjord Department. Winnie, Fjord X Icelanidc

vixie

Aug 27, 2008
Fjords are great, ive been on a few and always had a great time, they are very strong to handle though but totally loveable.

and as someone said...thee is *a lot* of width to take up leg! lol :)

lor

Jun 28, 2006
Great pics:D They are all wonderful, are they all red duns? Some look darker than others but don't know if that is an age or winter or summer thing:D

Your older mare has such a kind face:D

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
That's not me, I is not that skinny! :D :D That's a 14 year old German lass who came to work for us a couple of times last year.

Libbyo

Mar 5, 2006
West Sussex
They are all golden dun. Lena can be the kindest sweetest mare ever. thank you everyone for your coments. I love them all very much and each is a completly difrent character to the next. lena and Mavs are related. lenas Father is Mavs grand Father!

I saw a silver (white?) dun stallion once, and I agree with everything said.

Solid, long lived, and faithful if you bring them up right. I have loved every ride I've had on one. Had many up north, haven't seen any in the south.

Last edited: