Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Pesky Flies!

Discussion in 'Money Saving Ideas, Tips and Remedies' started by Juliaa, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Juliaa

Juliaa Julia x Faith

Anyone else having a hard time with flies this summer round?

I've bought a fliespray for £15 which seemed to work last summer and prevent the flies landing on the horses, but this time I've nearly used up half the bottle over the week, as I'd spray it, would last a could 5 minutes before the flies come swarming back.

I wouldn't mind it but it bothers the horses and it's a bit difficult when you're trying to pick the feet out and they are trying to rip their feet out of your hands to slam them back onto the ground and shake the flies off.

I was given a homemade fly repellent by someone, and it did a better job than the one I bought but still the come swarming back.

Any recipes for homemade fly sprays I could try that would work?

I'm up for trying anything at the moment!

2. domane

domane Chatterbox

Buy some Deosect and dilute it down. It is a pesticide so you have to handle it very carefully but it is one of the only things that truly repels flies.

Trewsers likes this.
  3. Juliaa

Juliaa Julia x Faith

Okay many thanks! Will try that :D

4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. Trewsers

Trewsers Well-Known Member

Yes much as I loathe the smell, it worked on delicate Zi!!! (The mares are well 'ard and didn't seem to care at all about the flies:p compared to his nibs)

6. Colette Dillon

Colette Dillon New Member

7. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

Nothing stops them completely, and some work with one type of fly but not another, its a pain! My mare needs a fly rug most of the summer or she gets eaten alive.

I make my own fly repellent, I make 2l at a time with 1l cold black tea, 500ml white vinegar, 1 cap listerine mouthwash, a drop of dish liquid soap, 40 drops eucalyptus oil, 40 drops tee tree oil, 40 drops citronella and a thumb nail size blob of neem oil, then top off to 2l with cold water. Its works well most of the time and is very soothing to put on if they have been bitten.

When the bugs are really bad tho I resort to deosect or power phaser but I have to watch that, if I use the pp daily it takes my mares sensitive skin off.

The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties