Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Rotting frogs. The verdict

Discussion in 'Horse Care' started by Ale, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Ale

Ale Well-Known Member

Ales frogs look terrible suddenly. At the back below the heel they have all split and are disintegrating. I'm going to get him in tomorrow to wash them and get a closer look at what's going on.

Then what? Any advice, he's kept out 24/7 and the field is very wet currently. Should I wash them daily? Twice a day? VIDEO0141_0000020988.jpg I only have Milton at the moment but can order hibiscrub. And likewise only have purple spray to put on after but will get something else asap if you can recommend anything.

Anything else you can recommend please? Thank-you!

2. Ale

Ale Well-Known Member

Think I'm going to get some field paste for starters as I'd been meaning to for ages but last time my trimmer came she said his frogs were looking brilliant. Typical! That was only 3 weeks ago but they've gone downhill quickly!!

3. newforest

newforest Why have grain, when you can have yummy grain

Salt.

I salt hers every so often and they are fine. Salt kills crap bacteria and not the good.
    Hibiscrub kills everything.
    Purple spray I would use for cuts but this.
    I do also have field paste though for any holes.

Interestingly if he was trimmed three weeks ago its possible that's softened the hoof and lowered it into the wet more. I haven't had the farrier since October. It's been so wet here there isn't anything to come off.

Ale likes this.
  4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. Trewsers

Trewsers Well-Known Member

That's a good thought about it lowering more into the wet. The girlies haven't needed a trim now since December. They just aren't growing much.
    That is a very good point about the Hibi too. Never thought too much about it until just now reading that.

Ale likes this.
  6. Trewsers

Trewsers Well-Known Member

Just had to add though that when I saw the title of this thread I did wonder if it was going to be abou actual frogs rotting (being as @Ale is our resident zoo keeper type person:D)

Cortrasna, lauren123 and Ale like this.
  7. joosie

joosie horse slave

I'd soak twice a day in the diluted Milton and then use the Field Paste.
    I think Milton is highly underrated for foot issues, it's not as "trendy" to use as some of the hoof care products on the market but I've used it to clear up some pretty bad cases of thrush.

newforest and Ale like this.
  8. Ale

Ale Well-Known Member

Do you salt them like you would chips or in a solution?

Could well be to do with that, he had a fair bit trimmed off as his are still growing alot unusually!

9. Ale

Ale Well-Known Member

:D I had a conversation with someone at work about fossilised frogs the other day funnily enough, think they were a little mortified!

Trewsers likes this.
  10. Ale

Ale Well-Known Member

Brilliant thank-you, and that's good to hear you've had success with the Milton. How long do you soak for? I'll soak them in the morning and have to use purple spray or sudocreme for a few days until my paste arrives!

11. Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Ziggy Learning together!

Ziggy's frogs were awful earlier in the year and I used field paste. Now in the wet they are brilliant, all except the one foot he doesn't weight properly. Salt's an interesting idea, field paste is brill. I'm not surprised Ale's feet are growing, it's warmer where you are than in the hills where we are and Ziggy's haven't stopped at all - the grass is growing and his feet are too!

Ale likes this.
  12. joosie

joosie horse slave

I soak for a good 10 minutes, it also helps to have a small syringe so you can squirt directly into any little nooks and crannies that need special attention.

Ale and newforest like this.
  13. newforest

newforest Why have grain, when you can have yummy grain

I dampen the hoof and I'm very generous with the salt. Then I use my fingertips to really get in there or a tooth brush.
    It looks like it's snowed when I finish. I leave her be for about ten minutes. Then pop out.
    Did her last week and I just keep my eye to it. This winter has been yuk.

Ale likes this.
  14. Ale

Ale Well-Known Member

Thanks I'll give this a go too!

15. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

It's difficult to tell from the pic but what you describe sounds like the frog is shedding, a Milton soak won't hurt that and will help kill any nasties, but if that is what's happening it's perfectly normal and natural.

Frances144 and Ale like this.
  16. Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Ziggy Learning together!

Absolutely this @Jessey . I've been really worried about Ziggy's frogs a few times at this time of year, and my trimmer has said, "Oh, a good bit of moulting going on here," and pared them nice and deep and they've been fine.

17. Pete's Mum

Pete's Mum Well-Known Member

I personally wouldn't use Hibiscrub either.

In the winter, I think you'd be fine with Milton - but I've found it can be quite drying.

I use HorseLeads (in eBay, same ingredients as Red Horse but cheaper) hoof spray andcheaper. I'm going to make my own hoof clay next time though.

#16 Pete's Mum, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Ale likes this.
  18. MrC

MrC https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/

He could be shedding? Kia’s frogs look thrushy when he’s shedding then I have nice healthy frog when he’s done.

Ale likes this.
  19. Ale

Ale Well-Known Member

Right so got a better picture, no smell apart from on one of them. But looks terrible!

20. Ale

Ale Well-Known Member

21. Prjsmk

Prjsmk Active Member

Had exact problem with my cob, nothing worked for ages and he ended up lame! But then i discovered red horse products... The sole clense to kill nasties but promotes healthy hoof growth and field paste for holes or arti mud for the deeper holes... Although it never stays put if the ground is really wet! Also my farrier said syringe it to get any dirt out dont hoof pick it because u break any structures that are starting to form without realising and it takes longer to heel then, it was a slow process for it to heal up completly but when the weather dried up it only took a week for it to finalise and be good as new, still having some problems now we have loads of wet again :( hes got no thrush but his frogs and hels are saturated and holey, farrier said to just use the sole clense so no thrush gets in and they will be fine and sort themselves when the weather dries up

Ale likes this.
The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties