Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Rubber matting smell!

Discussion in 'Cats, Dogs and other Animals' started by Orenoko, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Orenoko

Orenoko Active Member

So I bought some rubber matting for my house rabbits a few days ago, as they're chewing their current flooring and have seen loads of people using rubber instead. Only problem is it smells so strong I can't stand to have it in the house! :confused: I knew it would be a bit smelly but it's overpowering! I've looked some things up online and have tried them:

Soaking in warm water
    Washing with dishwashing liquid
    Scrubbing with bicarbonate of soda

I've read online that fieldguard green gloop is also quite handy and what tends to be used in the equestrian world. Can anyone recommend it? Or any other alternatives? I know the smell would fade given time, but I can't inflict it as is on my poor house rabbits, or myself lol. :eek:

Any tips gratefully received!

2. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

Is it just the rubber smell? I doubt theres much you can do about that apart from give it time sadly

Orenoko likes this.
  3. Trewsers

Trewsers Well-Known Member

Oh dear, no idea sorry! Like jessey says, maybe just time will fade the smell??

Orenoko likes this.
  4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. Orenoko

Orenoko Active Member

It's just the rubber smell, I've scrubbed it again and put it in the basement, hopefully it'll fade in time!

Trewsers and Jessey like this.
  6. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

You might have better luck with closed cell foam, its less stinky and the closed cells means it won't absorb urine etc.

Orenoko likes this.
  7. Orenoko

Orenoko Active Member

@Jessey thanks I might have to look into this, at the moment I have foam squares that interlock but they are chewing them which is why I need something else, this could be a good alternative!

Jessey likes this.
  8. mystiquemalaika

mystiquemalaika Well-Known Member

If you can find some 2nd rubber matting a good clean would take away any horsey or other smells and clean them for you and you will find you dont have that new rubber smell. Sadly it is a case of it fades over time though i know some are worse than others! Good luck :)

The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties