Tethered Gypsy ponies..your views

eml

Apr 29, 2002
Leicestershire
www.ivanhoeequestrian.net
We a have a major gypsy site near our feed merchants who commonly tether their horses on the large verges around. I know my farrier does feet for them and all the ponies are nice quality coloureds in good condition. Whenever they are tethered it is done correctly with a 'swivel' link and a water container within reach.

I was annoyed on the gypsies behalf to see a couple feeding a pony with apples while photographing it. No I wouldn't keep a pony by the roadside but these are far better cared for than many in livery yards.

What is your view /reaction to roadside ponies?

lolahutt

Quod me nutrit me destr't
Sep 26, 2006
Devon
They are usually very well cared for but some (such as kazz's breeders) give tethering horses an association with neglect.

KBCrazy2717

KB's Best Buddy
Aug 19, 2005
USA *big smile*
:eek: :eek: :eek: WOOOOOW! Never seen that before! Or heard of it even....veeeeery interesting. I can't really say much cuz this is all news to me...but if they are happy and healthy I don't see a problem with it...:)

acw295

May 21, 2006
twitter.com
If they are well cared for with long tether and water (and shelter when needed) then although i don't like it (imagine it could be almost as frustrating for a horse as stabling for long periods?) I agree no worse than some RS/livery yards.

But this summer (July heatwave), right by work and where I ride share pony, a gypsy pony (I believe, no proof as such but there were travellers very near by and it was wasteland) was tethered and often had no water (small bucket, frequently empty). It was well covered, and generally healthy looking, but the flies bothered it terribly and I was concerned about the water situation. In fact I took water when I could and notified RSPCA purely because of the heat. After a while it moved a short way and was not tethered - but don't know if that was just co-incidence. It did give me an uncomfortable feeling.

It was a funny looking thing that frequently made share pony spook when we rode past, but was very endearing and friendly. Have to confess I did leave it a few apples, and I know that it is terribly bad to feed someone elses horse or pony, wouldn't normally dream of it. Had marks on his head where a headcollar had obviously grown in to its head at some point (this was perfectly healed but still obvious). But that could have happened anywhere.

Having said all that, I ride a cob that was bred and broken by travellers, and he is a poppet, so do think that the majority treat their horses well and tethering keeps them safer than turning out with dangerous fencing - or stabling 24/7, and they seem to tolerate it well.

Jul 17, 2006
UK
It's not a boring life for them as they are always on the move.
If they are in good health,get fed,watered,eet done etc then it's fine.
BUT...i do not agree with gypsies,and what some gypsies do.

Dec 5, 2005
GA
Code:
It's not a boring life for them as they are always on the move.
If they are in good health,get fed,watered,eet done etc then it's fine.
BUT...i do not agree with gypsies,and what some gypsies do.
What do you mean Herbie's mummy? I haven't lived in the U.K. for a while so I am curious:)

Jul 17, 2006
UK
About the gypsies?
Well my friend and a few others have just had VERY bad encounters with them.
But not saying all are like this.
But i don't agree with them not having to pay for tax,and just *sometimes* parking up where evere they like, again not all do this.

NoviceNic

Sexy Dressage Pony
May 7, 2003
On my horses back...
Visit site
I know a "gypsy" and his cob. The cob is the most well cared for horse I have ever known. He wants for nothing. He eats au naturalle and is a very happy, chilled horse. His owner idolises him and would give his own life for him. Horse ownership at its best IMHO..:)

The question didnt ask what we thought of gypsy's, it asked what we thought of the gypsy cobs lifestyle. No personal opinions on peoples's lifestyles should even enter into the thread.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2005
GA
Code:
I think we need to be careful of putting people into boxe's and stereotyping.

Gypsy's do things the way thier culture has created and developed, it is thier way of life just as it is for the Spaniards to bullfight and the Americans to Rodeo.

Apart from that, i have spent many years knowing some of these people (and still do) and they have been kind, welcoming and would give you food/shelter and not see anyone without if they could help.

I agree with what some one else has already said '' what is the point to this thread ''?, it could lead to an argument and i think this is discrimination against the Travellers and thier Romany culture.
That was always my experience too:) But like I said, I haven't lived at home for some time now so I am curious about things now.

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
A friend has grazing rites on a common on which she lives. She cannot free graze it as it is not fenced in sho she tethers. Her breed is not one who benefits from vast acres of grass, so it works well.

She still gets calls from various bizzy bods who say she is cruel for tethering.

It is a way of life here, everything from rams, ewes, caddy lambs, cockerels stallions and mares gets tethered here. I have only heard of one problem from it, and this was an owner's problem.

eml

Apr 29, 2002
Leicestershire
www.ivanhoeequestrian.net
Sorry overseas people it is a Uk thing.

Our local gypsies are keen on horses and breed and use them for 'unofficial trotting races' While they live in large caravans on permanent sites they own, these ones only have a small amount of land for grazing so they let their horses graze by tethering then at the roadside on large verges. Our farrier looks after their feet and admires their commitment to the horses. I think they probably sell several at the local 'horse fairs'

There is a great deal of negative thinking about tethering but I am impressed by the condition of these ponies and the care they receive. I wouldn't say the same for all groups. I do think however ther are a lot of misguided people who are busy reporting them to the RSPCA etc without a real case.

I am not a fan in general of 'travelling people', those at the bottom of my drive a few weeks ago had me padlocking everything, but I feel a sense of injustice here for horse lovers no matter how unconventional.

Dec 5, 2005
GA
Code:
A friend has grazing rites on a common on which she lives. She cannot free graze it as it is not fenced in sho she tethers. Her breed is not one who benefits from vast acres of grass, so it works well.

She still gets calls from various bizzy bods who say she is cruel for tethering.

It is a way of life here, everything from rams, ewes, caddy lambs, cockerels stallions and mares gets tethered here. I have only heard of one problem from it, and this was an owner's problem.
Thank you Wally:) Was trying to figure out what Tethered meant. Are they like the Hobbles used here in the states?

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
Tethering involves a big stake you hammer into the ground, usually moved daily. There needs to be one or two swivels in the tethering rope so they don't twist themselves up. Some folk say only a thethering collar should be used, some a headcollar that can break free should they get caught up.

Water has to be available at the far extense of the rope, so they don't get whittered in it if it is a bucket. If there is a burn they can have free access over to the other side.

Once they are used to tethering there is no problem with it. It is commonly used here to tame wild hill ponies.

ajhainey

Apr 8, 2003
East London, UK
Visit site
I think we need to be careful of putting people into boxe's and stereotyping.

Gypsy's do things the way thier culture has created and developed, it is thier way of life just as it is for the Spaniards to bullfight and the Americans to Rodeo.
it could lead to an argument and i think this is discrimination against the Travellers and thier Romany culture.
Asking what other horse owners think of the practice of tethering is not discrimination - it is no different to asking what people think of people think of stabling v turnout, cross ties v lead rope etc etc

Back to original post...Until I learnt to ride it never occured to me to that tethering might be a problem (although I was probably guilty of feeding the "pretty horses" horrendous things in my misguided enthusiasm). Knowing how careful people are about tying up I'd now be intrigued to see one and see how safe it is? But living in London is not going to happen soon! Grass? What's that then? :D

I would be more inclined to look at the weight of the pony and it's coat condition to judge a 'mistreated pony' - simply being tethered wouldn't automatically ring alarm bells for me.

Eml - why were you annoyed on their behalf? Do you think they'd mind? I've always assumed that as they leave them in such public places they were ok with the resultant attention they would recieve. Otherwise I would imagine they would leave a sign to say don't touch - in the uk you couldn't expect the average person to know what to do/not do with a horse!

aj xx

Jul 17, 2006
UK
Branding any group of peole with a title can be viewed as discrimination. we are not 'Whitey's' they are not 'Gypsy's'

Having spent many years involved with these people, i can tell you for sure, they prefer not to be boxed as 'gypsies', and would rather be seen as individuals and they DO view it as discrimination.

My reply was based on the name 'Gypsies' not tethering.

I feel strongly about this thread and hope it is soon closed.
Was that to me?:)
I can under stand were you are coming from but thats how i have always know them.
Just my encounters with them were not good, and i suppose it stuck.