Weighty issue

rianne21

Mummy to Trooper & Rosie
Dec 14, 2005
Bedfordshire
So i am curious... what is the maximum weight a TB can carry comfortably?

For example would a 5'11 12.5 stone rider be too heavy for a 16hh ex racer?

Last edited:

Kay2

May 27, 2008
Bonny Scotland
Once had a 15.3 and a 16hh TB on loan and now own a 16.1hh TB and I must weigh bout 12stone and am 5'6". None of them ever seemed to have a problem carrying me!
p.s. What does "bump" mean? Being real thicko new to forum person here!!

Last edited:

rianne21

Mummy to Trooper & Rosie
Dec 14, 2005
Bedfordshire
Lol thanks! I just wondered because i am never going to be under 12.5 stone as i am naturally big boned and tall. The dr said my healthiest weight is 12.5 stone due to my structure, and kinda guessed it would mean i never get to ride a tb again as a result? I mean i haven't ridden a pure tb since i was about 14 lol :p i like my big ole hunters too much :p

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
OH rides a 16.2hh tb and he's 12 and a half stone and horse is fine. OH also rides my connie who is 15hh and she carries him comfortably too. Vet said it was fine as we weren't sure on weight issues.

rianne21

Mummy to Trooper & Rosie
Dec 14, 2005
Bedfordshire
OH rides a 16.2hh tb and he's 12 and a half stone and horse is fine. OH also rides my connie who is 15hh and she carries him comfortably too. Vet said it was fine as we weren't sure on weight issues.

Cool, thanks! It's just interesting to know that i havent gotta limit myself to horses as such :p kinda have this vision that tbs are as light as a feather as they are so svelte lol:rolleyes:

Kay2

May 27, 2008
Bonny Scotland
Oooh forgot to mention that I have a friend who is just over 15 stone and she rides a 16hh TB, cant believe I forgot to mention that in first post! He seems to cope ok with her weight although if she was an unbalanced beginner it probably wouldn't be so suitable. Totally agree with you....I love TBs, thay seem to get a bad press but if you get a good one you couldn't have a better horse.....and in return you just have to accept the odd little bit of tizzy! I've really struggled to get a new horse cause keep comparing them to my old TB and hence can never find right one...so don't buy!! Have ended up buying TB x type baby cause my old girlie can't be matched in a grown up horsey!!

Thanks for letting me know what BUMP means.....LOL

rianne21

Mummy to Trooper & Rosie
Dec 14, 2005
Bedfordshire
Oooh forgot to mention that I have a friend who is just over 15 stone and she rides a 16hh TB, cant believe I forgot to mention that in first post! He seems to cope ok with her weight although if she was an unbalanced beginner it probably wouldn't be so suitable. Totally agree with you....I love TBs, thay seem to get a bad press but if you get a good one you couldn't have a better horse.....and in return you just have to accept the odd little bit of tizzy! I've really struggled to get a new horse cause keep comparing them to my old TB and hence can never find right one...so don't buy!! Have ended up buying TB x type baby cause my old girlie can't be matched in a grown up horsey!!

Thanks for letting me know what BUMP means.....LOL
Aww bless her!!
Well i have to say i like a bit of fizz :p