What way should the bit face ? -need help fast-

xysabelx

Feb 8, 2009
I was taking apart and cleaning Mollies bridle (for the first time, i usually just clean it without taking it apart) and i realised a had no idea what way the bit should face (she has a full cheek snaffle, no french link or anything..), so i put it back together with the bit in a way that if i was the horse, the bit would be able to bend (im thinking this is the wrong word ??) the whole way in my mouth, it wouldnt be able to bend tho whole way the oppsosite way to where the rider would be... I hope this makes sense :confused: ??

Well anyways, is it the right wayy ? I dont want to end up hurting Mollie or anything.. ??

S

StormyJ

From what you've described I think it needs to go the other way.
When you fold it in half, so that the cheeks meet, think of the point facing forwards, out of her mouth.
When you hold the bridle up, the bit should form a V pointing towards the ground, folded the easy way.
Hope that helps! :)

Jun 5, 2008
I was taking apart and cleaning Mollies bridle (for the first time, i usually just clean it without taking it apart) and i realised a had no idea what way the bit should face (she has a full cheek snaffle, no french link or anything..), so i put it back together with the bit in a way that if i was the horse, the bit would be able to bend (im thinking this is the wrong word ??) the whole way in my mouth, it wouldnt be able to bend tho whole way the oppsosite way to where the rider would be... I hope this makes sense :confused: ??

Well anyways, is it the right wayy ? I dont want to end up hurting Mollie or anything.. ??
Without actually seeing what you did I couldn't commit myself on this but most bits have a fairly clear right and wrong way. Best thing is to ask someone who knows what they are doing to look at it.

Riley Roo

Mar 14, 2008
North Wales
If you look down at the bit from above, the shape of the bit should naturally curve in one direction - hold the bridle as if you were putting it on your self and attach the bit so that the curve goes towards you - does that make sense? I know what i mean but it's hard to explain...:D

Nov 26, 2007
UK
From what you've described I think it needs to go the other way.
When you fold it in half, so that the cheeks meet, think of the point facing forwards, out of her mouth.
When you hold the bridle up, the bit should form a V pointing towards the ground, folded the easy way.
Hope that helps! :)
Thats a brilliant description :)

Oct 22, 2004
Norwich, Norfolk
Visit site
If it has one join in the middle of the bit then when in the horse mouth it will fold so that the cheek bits will touch. If it is in the wrong way then the cheek pieces won't touch as the curve of the snaffle bit will prevent it.