Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

What's your thoughts on this hoof?

Discussion in 'Hoof Care' started by newforest, Dec 22, 2017.

1. newforest

newforest Why have grain, when you can have yummy grain

Anything goes even if you say well its dirty nf. :D

Just curious.

PicsArt_12-22-05.16.19.jpg

2. Bodshi

Bodshi Well-Known Member

Haha, I know nothing about feet, other than knowing what is normal for my own horses, but looking at that I'd say big bars! Also the heel looks a bit mushy but perhaps that's just the wet and mud making it appear that way.

3. Trewsers

Trewsers Well-Known Member

That's what I'd say too!!

4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. lauren123

lauren123 Well-Known Member

6. carthorse

carthorse Well-Known Member

I'm not a barefoot person so it's likely my observations don't mean much, and I'm not inclined to comment on the trim because I know nothing about that.

The back of the frog looks like it wouldn't be in contact with the ground, and it looks like some of it has been lost. Given that the texture looks wrong I'd wonder about thrush or possibly an abscess having blown through it.

There also looks to be white line separation - infection or damage from past laminitis?

I can't comment on balance, the photo's too big to fit on my screen lol & anyway I'd want more than one shot of a held up foot to make even a green amateur's guess.

Is she sound on it? To me the main test of any hoof, shod or unshod, is that it's functional.

7. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

We'd need pictures from different angles to comment on trim, square to the bottom, sides and toe to make even novice observations.
    The foot does look long, as do the bars but they're still upright apart from the right towards apex which looks like it's over laid. The frog looks uneven and weedy, that and the white line separation, I'd guess at thrush and treat for that too.

8. newforest

She is as sound as a bell on all four. I just happened to have visiting farrier look at her and he said they were fine and didn't need doing. We are unshod so it's just the bog standard trim any farrier does.

To me though it's unbalanced which you might not be able to see. But one half of the hoof it isn't worn down, the other is. She always does this on her fronts so that's not a big thing, but leaving surely is?
    We do have some seperation.
    The frog is shedding on both fronts but the heels don't look great.
    I haven't salted this winter yet and I will be.

Just curious as farrier left and my own would level her out.

9. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

I wondered if it was imbalanced but pictures at this angle can be deceiving, the toe looks uneven as do the heels. I would definitely want it balanced up and would have expected some length to be taken off.

10. newforest

Puzzled why this farrier was happy to leave as is.

11. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

Some are happy with OK rather than aiming for as good as possible

12. Flipo's Mum

Flipo's Mum Heavy owner of a Heavy

Did think it look a familiar shape. This is what we battled with for years. Flip is toe in and his inner wall will generally grow longer. With previous shite trimming, he ended up with a medial lateral imbalance. To some extent it was ok for him to have this growth and it still happens when his hooves grow, but the trimmer excaberated it and he ended up with even less outer wall and lameness. Since he’s been shod we’ve been ok, until we weren’t again! And then I had another education about hoof shape, and the importance of a small tight hoof shape, where he’d ended up with round hoofs which put additional stress on the outer wall and a resected hoof as a result.
    Anyway, I’ve wittered!

13. newforest

Not at all @Flipo's Mum. This is the only hoof with a mind of its own and is the first to grow 'out of shape'.
    How's things with you nice to see a familiar name posting again.
    I have just shaped them as she was too long in places and to me that's not balanced. Salted ourselves because I make such mess it's snowed on the yard. :D
    Maybe farriers don't like stepping on each others toes, so to speak.

14. Flipo's Mum

Flipo's Mum Heavy owner of a Heavy

Yeah I’m a lurker these days, I spend so much time staring at a computer screen, by the end of the day summoning enough mental capacity to form a sentence is beyond me lol. There are many half written but abandoned replies on NR for me these days!!
    Ah, I didn’t realise it was another Farrier looking at a different one’s work. There is something about the type of person attracted to the life as a Farrier. My experience of them are that they keep their head down and opinions to themselves.

The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties